Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A scorekeeper's error
I hope the golf gods don't put a curse on my game or turn an indiscretion into a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" storyline after what happened yesterday on the first hole at Balboa golf course in Encino.
Perry Diller, a regular member of our Monday afternoon foursome, was late arriving for a 1 o'clock tee time, and Mike Sauthier, Joe Deems and myself went ahead and teed off, figuring he would catch up with us, which he did as we played out the first hole.
I keep score for the group and, without asking, I gave Perry a bogey 5 for the hole he missed. My reason was that both Joe and Mike had bogeyed the hole, so it wouldn't have been fair to them if I gave Perry a par.
Perry went on to shoot a beautiful round, scoring 40-41 for a 9-over-par 81.
When he looked at the scorecard afterward, he noticed the bogey-5 and I could sense a bit of disappointment. An 80 would have been a better score to post in the pro shop.
It wasn't his fault that he was late. He had car trouble and had to quickly re-arrange his schedule to get to the course. I called Mike later and told him I felt bad about scoring the bogey. Mike laughed, and said, "That wasn't a nice thing to do. Next time, give him a birdie."
I doubt that Perry will be late again as he is always on time. But if he is, the official scorer will use better judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment